Thursday, March 20, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookies, analyzed!

Many of you know that one of my favorite rainy/snowy day activities is baking. This year, I got tired of mediocre homemade chocolate chip cookies (does such a thing exist?) and decided to make it my mission to figure out what separates a good cookie from a GREAT cookie. After several batches (and I mean, several....)

Here is what I found:

  • Best taste? Butter flavored Crisco (it's sort of gross, but tastes the best!)
  • Eggs must be at room temperature (who knew?)
  • Get the good chips! My favorite are Guittard (I always use Semi or Bittersweet chips (b.s. are darker and deeper in flavor)
  • I always bake on a Silpat or parchment paper
  • I like to add a little pinch of cinnamon (it adds a little coconut taste - weird, huh?)
  • Chill your dough for at least 30 min.
  • Put the scoops of batter onto a room temp cookie sheet (You can run cold water onto a used sheet)
My recipe!
2 1/4 c. flour
1 t soda
1 t salt (I use kosher)
1/4 t cinnamon
1 c. butter flavored Crisco
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar (packed)
2 large eggs (room temp)
1 1/2 t vanilla (I use more than most people)
12 ou. good quality chips
1 c. walnuts

Mix flour, soda, salt and cinnamon in bowl. In separate bowl, cream Crisco, sugars and then eggs and vanilla. Slowly add the dry to the wet and then add your nuts and chips. Mix until well combined, but don't over beat things. I like to do it all by hand. I like to scoop batter balls with an ice cream scoop that has the handle that pushes the scoop out. Make sure to allow room for them to spread!

Bake for about 8-10 min in a 375 oven. You'll want to move your oven rack to the center.
Cool on the sheet for about 2 minutes and then let them totally cool on wire racks. Enjoy!

Two little things to note: you can make your cookie dough into a log (like Tollhouse slice and bake) and then wrap it in Saran and Tinfoil and freeze the batter. You may also freeze baked cookies. When it's time to eat, just zap in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Heaven!

No comments: