Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Wash those Windows!

We all hate to clean, right? But since it's a necessary evil, why not make the most of it by buying/making yourself the best (environmentally safe) cleaning products. I know, I know, you're rolling your eyes by the idea of making your own cleaning products. I promise it's painless! And it's much better on the environment and your wallet!

Here is the best window-washing formula I've found:

1/2 cup ammonia
1 pint 70% rubbing alcohol
1 tsp. dishwashing liquid (I used lavendar)

Combine in a bucket and add enough hot water to make a gallon of washing liquid. I filled a 99 cent spray bottle from Target and used a squeggee to wipe the window and a microfiber cloth to wipe up excess spots.

I just learned about the massive power of the microfiber cloth! Did you know you can wet it, ring it out and wipe down all your stainless steel to make it shine? No nasty cleaning product necessary. I bought a pack of 6 and rotate them in and out of the wash. It's a great way to save on paper towel expense and waste! They are also great for dusting tv and computer screens, ceiling fans, lampshades....

2 comments:

sandra said...

Great cleaning tip Nik! Where do you get your microfibre cloths?

Veganmama said...

Target sells packs for around $6. Also any big home store like Lowes. If you get some let me know what you think! For me, the selling point was being able to wash them in the washing machine!