Monday, March 24, 2008

Clothes, clothes, clothes....

As an organizer, one of my favorite challenges are master closets. Here are a couple tips I give clients to "rethink" the amount of clothes they keep. Of course I could write a book about this, but I'll just touch upon some of my favorite things....
  • Did you know most of us wear 20% of your clothes 80% of the time?
    (TIP: once you wear something, turn the hanger around. After a few months, you'll notice which things never get worn. Donate those things)
  • Wooden hangers make clothes look SO much neater and make you appreciate what you have. Invest in a pack of 20 from a place like Bed Bath and Beyond for as little as $10.
  • I encourage people to only keep their current season in their closet. Getting dressed is easier and transitioning from one season to the next gives you an opportunity to re-evaluate what you're holding on to. Store off-season clothes in clear lidded bins. If you can't, you have too many clothes. Also keep off-season bags and shoes in a separate space.
  • Do you have business attire you're no longer using? You can donate it to DRESS FOR SUCCESS (www.dressforsuccess.org). They distribute career clothes to economically disadvantaged women looking for jobs. Who wouldn't feel good about that?
That's all for you. Please email me and ask me your specific closet organizing questions and I'll post them on the blog. Happy Donating!

No comments: