Monday, March 17, 2008

Irish Soda Bread

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, my friends! You'd never know it looking at me, but I am 1/4 Irish, so I try to honor ye ol' heritage with some traditional Irish baking. Here's the best soda bread recipe I've found!

1/2 c. white sugar
4 c. flour
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
3/4 t salt
2 cups raisins
1 T caraway seed (optional, I love it)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 c. buttermilk (don't substitute)
1 c. sour cream

350 oven. Grease 9 inch round cake pan. Mix flour, sugar, powder, soda, salt, raisins and caraway. In small bowl, mix eggs, buttermilk, sour cream. Stir liquid into the flour until moist. Knead dough about 12 strokes in bowl. Will be very sticky! Place in the pan and pat it. Cut a 4 in deed slip into the top (I do an "x"). Dust the top with a little flour. Bake 65-75 minutes. Cool and turn it into a wire rack.

Splurge and pat with delicious whipped butter!

No comments: