Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Organizing Tip: Spice Drawer

There are lots of jokes aimed at organized people like, "oh yes, I spent my Saturday organizing my spice drawer!" Well, I'm one of those people and I take pride in the little areas of my house, like my spice drawer!

I love to cook and insist on a simple, well set-up kitchen, free of clutter and free of the items I rarely use (those are stored in the basement on a shelf).

Have you ever considered using a drawer to store your spices? It's a lot easier to find what you need (and know what you have so you don't double up) if they're lined up in a drawer. If you currently use a cupboard, how about making the switch? If you're happy with your cupboard and don't want to change, how about going to Target or www.stacksandstacks.com and getting some item risers (your spices will be lined up like they are attending a high school pep rally in the gym!).

And have you ever wondered how long spices last? Not as long as you'd think: herbs? 1-3 years. Others? 2-3 years. You really ought to upgrade while you're organizing. I love the "Simply Organic" line. Another great store/catalog is Penzey's Spice.

Go get spicy :)!

No comments: