Friday, April 4, 2008

Reader Question #1: Storing Summer Stuff!

This is the first question I received in my "ask the organizer" series.

"Any ideas on how to store all the little (summer) stuff like the sidewalk chalks, ball mitts, butterfly-catchers, jump ropes, sun block, water toys....I could go on"

The first thing I have to say is, "wow, I want to be a kid in THAT house!" Sounds like a lot of fun. I actually have a great, cheap, tried and true idea for the smaller items (sunblock, sunglasses, hats, etc.): an over-the-door shoe organizer (see the picture to the right). The nice thing about this is you can keep it in your mudroom (on the back of your kitchen door, dear reader?) and change the items out per season (gloves and hats in the winter). Kids can easily grab at the lower items and mom and dad can monitor the less than kid-friendly items (like bug spray) up top. You can get plastic shoe organizers for about $10 and canvas for a little more money. These are also great to hold craft supplies, hair accessories, toy cars, etc.

For the larger items like ball mitts, I recommend buying a big old galvanized tub (Target) that can be used as a catch-all. And if you're entertaining, you can throw a bag of ice in the tub and fill it with beer :) Perhaps after a day of sidewalk chalk, baseball and bug catching? :)

Thanks for the question and if you need more specific advice, please email me again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just love the shoe organizers! I use them for everything but shoes:)