Friday, May 23, 2008

My Grandmother's Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

A few weeks ago I posted a recipe for strawberry rhubarb pie, one of my favorite flavor combinations. Today, I'm sharing with you a taste that brings me back to childhood: my Memme's Strawberry Rhubarb Jam. I made my first batch the other day and after realizing how AMAZING it tastes (with very little effort), I made a second batch!

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
5 cups rhubarb, cut up into 1/2 inch pieces
3 cups sugar
1 cup drained crushed pineapple

Mix and let sit 30 min. Bring to boil on stovetop for approximately 15 minutes or until rhubarb is cooked. Add 1 large package strawberry jello.

Now, take (half pint canning jars) about 4 of the jars (without the lids on!!) and microwave them for 2 minutes to heat up the jars (instead of doing a tiresome water bath). Get them out of the micro. while they're hot and pour in the hot jam almost to the top. Tightly seal it up with the lid and then immediately turn it upside down for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, stand it right side up and you're done! You'll hear the lid "pop" after a while.

As good as this is on toast, it's heavenly on vanilla ice cream - trust me!!

You can find the canning jars just about anywhere - the grocery store, craft store, hardware store, etc.

No comments: