Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Reader Decorating Question

Reader Question:

I need to refinish my night stand. It is currently a country green. the walls of the room are a pale yellow, the furniture is a very dark brown and the bed coverings are a metallic gray. Any suggestions? I can either paint it or stain to match the bed and dressers.

Great Question!

The reason I like this question is because so many of us have pieces around the house (or in the basement or garage) that could work in the house if only they fit into the room. Since you're working with a small night stand I think you can do this project in about 2 hours and for very little cost.

I recommend painting it to give a little pop of interest to the room. You'll want to start by priming it (Bulls Eye works great, just one small pint/quart) 2 coats. Once that's dry, paint 2 coats of semi gloss. I pulled out my trusty Ben Moore color wheel and, based on the colors in your room, recommend something very neutral. I'm thinking a tan with some gray undertones:

Benjamin Moore: "Sparkling White" or "Natural Wicker". If you goto Home Depot they can match the color with their store brand paint at no extra cost.

Thanks for the question!

No comments: